Saturday, November 14, 2009

LUCIA'S
























This painting was a work of pleasure and love. It was a going -away gift to one of my dearest friend and one of the loveliest of women I've had the pleasure and blessing of  being able to share life with.
Having less than a weeks time to do the painting, I poured every free minute I had into completing this. This was at a time when where I lived lacked a studio or space of any kind to actually do any painting. So for that week I turned my dining room into a studio, just so I could do this.
Symbols and designs inspired from Chinese and Hindu art, has been a strong influence over what I have been using in my paintings in the past decade. Thanks to a wonderful and brilliant professor who taught the Asian Art History Class  that I attended back in 2002, my appreciation and love of Asian art, history, and culture has and continues to grow.
The sand skrit symbols that take up the center of the page is alibata; an ancient and formally lost writing method from the Filipines. Alibata has been slowly brought back into Pinoy culture and can be found commonly on the bodies of Pinoy's as tattoos.
This alibata simply says: LUCIA (lu-s-ya)

No comments:

Post a Comment